Heartsaver CPR AED Course
The Heartsaver CPR AED Course is designed to prepare people to provide CPR and AED’s in a safe, timely, and effective manner. The course goals include cognitive and psychomotor objectives. This course is for people with limited or no medical training who need a credential in CPR with AED. Anyone needing or desiring a Heartsaver AED Course completion card can take this course. Course is taught by lecture, video and student participation.
Importance of AED Training
- As a Heartsaver trained in both CPR and use of an AED, you can increase the chances of survival for a victim of cardiac arrest. You may help save a life.
- The most frequent cause of cardiac arrest is the sudden onset of the deadly rhythm, ventricular fibrillation (VF).
- You can keep the heart and brain alive by performing CPR while you wait for the AED to arrive.
- The only effective treatment for VF is electric defibrillation with a defibrillator.
- The sooner you perform defibrillation, the greater the chance that defibrillation will work.
- The Heartsaver AED Course enables you to perform the life-saving skills of CPR and use of an AED for victims of cardiac arrest.
- The Heartsaver AED Course now teaches technique for shocking children from 1 to 8 years of age.
- Course length is 3-4 hours and student must successfully pass a skills evaluation on a manikin and AED.
- Meet the training needs of medically authorized (where required) public access defibrillation programs in corporate settings. For example, management and staff of worksite settings such as senior centers, residential care centers, security officers, flight attendants, shopping mall employee’s etc.
- Meet the training needs of family members or relatives of patients at high risk for cardiac arrest.
- Learn how to respond to a cardiac emergency in a public access defibrillation setting.
- Learn the specific protocols and steps of the Heartsaver AED algorithm.